11.8.15

End of the Trimester Evaluations


At the end of each trimester I have students fill out a survey asking them to evaluate how their experience was in my classroom.  I find that it helps me to identify strategies that have worked well for students and those that haven't.  I also find a few surveys enlightening and insightful.  After a difficult experience in a particular class of Spanish I students, most of which qualified as "at-risk" learners, I was surprised to read the above statement.  A student wrote, "Sorry I was so rude I've just been having a lot of problems outside of school."

This made me think.  How many students that frustrate me are simply so frustrated with their situation outside of school.  By treating this student well, despite his rude behavior, the student recognized an apology was needed.  I keep this little piece of the survey on my desk to remember that every student has a story and I may be the only positive adult in his/her life.  I must show kindness even when a student treats me in a way that is disrespectful.  I don't know what he or she is dealing with.